Latest posts by John Nagel (see all)
- Poll Results: Which former Cardinal will be missed the most? - February 1, 2015
- St. Louis Cardinals: Keith Law discusses Stephen Piscotty’s power, Alex Reyes’ development, and more - January 30, 2015
- A Q&A with St. Louis Cardinals prospect Derek Gibson - January 29, 2015
Baseball Prospectus released its top 101 prospects on Monday and the Cardinals placed four prospects on the list. The usual suspects, Oscar Taveras, Kolten Wong, and Stephen Piscotty appear on the list. The “surprise” is that Alex Reyes appears on the list at 98.
To date, MLB.com, Baseball Prospectus, and Scout.com have released their top prospect lists. ESPN.com and Baseball America will be releasing theirs in the coming weeks and I will update the table as they are made public.
Here is the current chart of prospects and where they rank:
As you can see, there is a pretty wide range of rankings for all of the different players. Kolten Wong goes from being ranked #33 on Baseball Prospectus’ list to unranked on Scout’s list, but there is a reason. Scout.com only lists true prospects, meaning Kolten Wong would no appear on their list because he is projected to be on the Opening Day roster. Also Xander Bogaerts will not make Scout’s list for the same reason.
MLB.com’s prospect list consists of players who have not exhausted their rookie eligibility at the Major League level. You will find players like Wong and Bogaerts on their list. Carlos Martinez will not appear on many of these lists because he went over the 45 day service time requirement for rookies.
The thing to remember about prospect lists is they vary from rules to how players are evaluated. While in the end they are just fancy lists that are arbitrary, you know you want to read them. All of them.
January 29th Update – Keith Law releases his top 100
As you can see from above, Law has Piscotty rated ahead of Wong, and Wong is significantly lower than other ranking services have him. Here are some quotes from Keith Law’s chat today regarding Cards prospects
- Someone asked if Kolten Wong’s struggles at the MLB level effected his rating. Law’s respons was “None”
- Someone asked if there were 2013 draftees who could make a big jump this year and Law suggested Rob Kaminsky.
Law is the only one who has rated Piscotty higher than Wong. He also seems very high on Kaminsky.
Just another opinion to throw out there….