Over the next few weeks, CardinalsFarm will bring you an Ultimate Depth Chart for each position. We will run through the players that play that position on every level of the system. These are players that are currently on major and minor league rosters. We will rank them based on current production and future production with each getting 50%.
The First base position is very solid at the top of the system. Allen Craig and Matt Adams have the potential to be major league all-stars. After these two, the position declines greatly. Like catcher, the Cards are not in a hurry to move any of these young guys up through the system. The interesting question is what happens to Matt Adams in 2013? I have said in the past the Cards may look to trade him, but that would be a killer to first base depth.
A couple of “other” guys to watch for in 2013 include Xavier Scruggs. If Adams is with the big club or traded, Scruggs could be the starting first baseman at Memphis. Obviously, he had a monster 2012 with Springfield but his age is an issue. Scruggs will play 2013 at the age of 25, which is “old man-ish” for the minors, especially Double A.
David Washington is another first base prospect to watch. He is the youngest player on this list at 22 and should compete with David Bergin as the starting first baseman at Peoria this season. In only 215 plate appearances, Washington hit 9 home runs which is a HR every 23.8 PA which is about equal to Craig’s ratio.
Overall, first base doesn’t have the potential that catcher has
- 514PA, .307, 22HR, 92RBI, 2SB
- 276PA, .329, 18HR, 50RBI, 3SB
3. Xavier Scruggs, 25 – Springfield – 19th, 2008
- 522PA, .235, 22HR, 91RBI, 8SB
4. David Washington, 22 – Batavia – 15th, 2009
- 215PA, .267, 9HR, 32RBI, 1SB
5. Jonathan Rodriguez, 23 – Palm Beach – 17th, 2009
- 248PA, .252, 6HR, 28RBI, 2SB,
6. Geoffrey Klein, 24 – Palm Beach – 15th, 2010
- 385PA, .246, 7HR, 34RBI, 2SB
7. Jeremy Schaffer, 23 – Johnson City – 18th, 2012
- 258PA, .272, 10HR, 51RBI, 0SB
8. David Medina, 24 – Quad Cities – International
- 486PA, .241, 9HR, 72RBI, 3SB
9. Danny Stienstra, 23 – Batavia – 12th, 2011
- 158PA, .345, 3HR, 20RBI, 5SB